It’s time for my first ever Classics Club spin!
‘How to’: It’s easy. At your blog, before next Wednesday 1st August 2018, create a post that lists twenty books of your choice that remain “to be read” on your Classics Club list.
This is your Spin List.
You have to read one of these twenty books by the end of the month. On Wednesday 1st August, we’ll post a number from 1 through 20. The challenge is to read whatever book falls under that number on your Spin List, by 31st August, 2018. We’ll check in here then to see who made it the whole way and finished their spin book!
I’ve only been doing the Classics Club for about a fortnight so I’ve loads to choose from. I opted to read 50 books in 5 years and finished my first one last week – A Room With A View. More on that soon. In the meantime, here are 20 books for the spin list, divided into categories for extra interest.
Five I’m most excited to read:
1. Daphne Du Maurier – My Cousin Rachel
2. Shirley Jackson – The Haunting of Hill House
3. Mollie Panter-Downes – One Fine Day
4. Marilynne Robinson – Housekeeping
5. EB White – Charlotte’s Web
Five from the 20th Century:
6. Willa Cather – O Pioneers!
7. Ford Madox Ford – Parade’s End
8. Somerset Maugham – The Painted Veil
9. EM Remarque – All Quiet on the Western Front
10. Jean Rhys – Wide Sargasso Sea
Five pre-20th Century:
11. Elizabeth Barrett-Browning – Aurora Leigh
12. RD Blackmore – Lorna Doone
13. Voltaire – Candide
14. Ralph Waldo Emerson – The Essential Writings
15. Walt Whitman – Leaves of Grass
Five epic reads:
16. WM Thackeray – Vanity Fair
17. Doris Lessing – The Golden Notebook
18. Seamus Heaney – Beowulf
19. James Fenimore Cooper – Last of the Mohicans
20. Charles Dickens – David Copperfield